Building Commercial


When submitting an application for a building permit for new commercial, industrial, and multi-unit residential projects, please provide or show proof of all the information below. To print and download this checklist, see Related Documents.

  • Site address
  • PLAT and Addresses recorded prior to submission of the permit application
  • Upload to ProjectDox 
    • Digital plans
    • Architectural certified plans
    • Structural Certified plans
    • Civil certified plans including site survey, grading, and utility plans
    • Specification book with plans
    • Specification documentation for fire rated assemblies and fire stopping materials
    • Supply compliance forms complying with State of Minnesota amended 2018 IECC or ASHRAE 90.1-2016 including:
      • Building Envelope compliance form
      • HVAC mandatory provisions compliance form
      • Service water heating compliance form
      • Lighting compliance form or Energy cost budget (ECB) compliance report if used
    • Code analysis with plans or separate sheet
    • Soil test report with plans
    • Special Inspection Agreement signed by all parties with plans
    • Metropolitan Council SAC/WAC determination with uploaded plans
    • Letter from The Department of Health and/or Agriculture when necessary with plans.

Please note: 
A permit will not be issued without all required state review approvals and/or SAC/WAC determinations.

Other Required Permits

Separate review and individual permit approvals are required for Natural Resources, Sewer/Water, Plumbing, Mechanical, Fire Suppression and Electrical prior to commencing work. The following items must be submitted at the time of application on line:

  • Natural Resources (NRMP) landscape plans
  • Sanitary Sewer/Watermain/Storm Sewer plans
  • Plumbing certified plans
  • State Plumbing plan approval
  • Mechanical HVAC certified plans
  • Fire Suppression certified plans
  • Electrical certified plans

The above submittals and payment of the application fee constitute a complete application for a Building Permit for a new commercial, industrial, or multi-unit residential building (MSBC 1300.0I30). If the submitted documents are not accurate or additional information is required, delays in the approval process may occur. You will be contacted when the plan review and fee calculation has been completed. Upon receipt of payment, the permit will be issued. For a printable version of this checklist, see Related Documents.


What is SAC?
SAC or Sewer Availability Charge is a one-time fee charged by MCES to local governments for use of reserve capacity in the Metropolitan Disposal System. It is charged any time a new property is built or an existing property renovation/remodel causes increased capacity demand on the system. Local governments may also charge, on top of the MCES charge, a local SAC or add-on fee for capacity in the local sewer system.

What does SAC pay for?
SAC pays for the reserve capacity that must be built into the Metropolitan Disposal System to accommodate the maximum potential use of any given site. It pays for this capacity through capital or debt payments associated with providing reserve capacity in the Metropolitan Disposal System.

What determines the number of SACs charged?
1 SAC is based on 274 gallons per day of potential capacity. It is not based on actual or expected usage. Low usage benefits will be realized through low monthly treatment bills. However, the system has to be designed to flow effectively under maximum potential usage. This way, if every business turned on every fixture all day, the system would not back up. The potential capacity of a business is determined by the expected flow caused by the people and any discharge (dishwashing, janitor use, etc.) within the location.

I have a business that is opening in an existing building and not changing any fixtures. Why are there additional SAC due?
SAC is generally determined by the expected use of a location, not necessarily the actual fixtures (although some business types are fixture driven). If the new business will result in people spending more time in a location or utilizing/discharging more into the sewer through other means, the capacity for that location must go up. A recent example was a retail shop that converted to a smoking lounge. For retail, customers come in, make a purchase, and get out. For a smoke shop, customers will linger, perhaps for hours, resulting in increased demand on the wastewater system for that location. 

How do I get a SAC Determination?

Where can I go for additional information?
Visit Webpage