State Fire Marshal Jerry Rosendahl reminds everyone: "If it flies or explodes, it's illegal in this state!" The Apple Valley Fire Department encourages everyone to celebrate safely during the upcoming July 4 weekend.
The 4th of July weekend is a major highlight of the summer and for many people there is a lot of excitement that is built around setting off fireworks during outdoor celebrations. As fascinating as the flashes of color and loud noises can be, there is a huge increase in the number of fires and personal injuries that result from careless use of even the most basic personal fireworks.
Sparklers, snakes, glow worms, string poppers, and other non-aerial, non-explosive devices provide dangers that children are most vulnerable to. The burning tip of a sparkler can exceed 1800 degrees with the potential to cause serious burns to little hands. Snakes and glow worms are fun to watch as they melt into different shapes, but the heat required for that melting can reach almost 2000 degrees.
Make sure that your fireworks activities are as safe as possible by following these tips provided by the US Fire Administration, NFPA, and the MN State Fire Marshal's office:
-Leave fallen pieces of fireworks on the ground until they are fully cooled. Some could still be ignited and could explode.-Light one item at a time and never inside of an enclosed container.
-Never attempt to relight a "dud."-Avoid lighting fireworks in areas with dry grass, brush or other debris where flying sparks could easily ignite them.
The best way to protect your family, friends, and property from fire and injuries is to not use any fireworks at home and to attend public fireworks displays.
For more State and Local Fireworks laws and safety information,